- To be eligible for High Scores and Overalls:
- Your Studio must have at least 10 entries in the competition, and at least 5 of those must be groups. If your studio has over 10 entries but no groups, you are not eligible for High Scores or Overalls. You would still be eligible for the Performance Awards (Gold, High Gold, Platinum, etc); Special Awards; Video Adjudications; and all media of your performances.
- Studios who qualify as a non-profit program, and whose dances are Novice, Comp 1, Young Adult, or Adult, are eligible for High Scores and Overalls.
- Due to popular request, we present the performance category awards in ascending order but do not announce the placings.
- High Scores are announced with the 1st, 2nd and 3rd, place rankings. Scores may be announced.
- Any routine winning The Ultimate Shine Award or 1st Overall in a city is not eligible the following year for the Ultimate Shine Award or the Overall Top 3 in the competition unless 50% of the dancers and choreography have changed.
- Any routine winning 1st Overall Acro in a city is not eligible the following year for 1st Overall Acro in the competition unless 50% of the dancers and choreography have changed.
- Any solo winning 1st place Title at Nationals cannot perform that solo again at Regionals.
- Independent entries without a studio sponsor will not be accepted. Please see your studio for entry forms.
- All competition inquiries must be made by Studios. Parents, please direct all questions to your Studios.
- Shine Dance Competitions accepts up to 200 entries per Studio with the exception of "Small Studio" competitions which accepts 100 entries.
- Performances may not compete against themselves unless 50% of the dancers change.
- Studio logos/names should not be visible during or in between performances (i.e. when placing props).
- Shine is a family event. Inappropriate costuming, language in songs or movement in routines may result in a deduction or the routine being “adjudicated only” at the discretion of Shine judges and management. Performances with thematic elements and issues reflecting a lack of discretion and awareness of the age and nature of the competition audience might be deemed inappropriate and may become "adjudicated only". See Shine and Appropriateness for further clarification.
- Given our constraints in evaluating actual rehearsal time, Shine trusts teachers to enter performances in the appropriate Competitive Levels. Routines that are deemed "under-placed" may be moved up a level at the discretion of Shine directors. All decisions are final.
- Teachers and studio directors are responsible to ensure that all tricks and movements performed by their dancers are technically appropriate to each dancer’s level or ability. Shine Dance Competitions and the host facility will not be held responsible for any injury that may be sustained during any dancers’ performances.
- In the event a performance is not completed, they will be allowed to perform again to be “adjudicated only”. This means they will still receive an award, but will not be eligible for any High Score or Overall Awards. Shine reserves the right to determine which performances qualify to dance again to be adjudicated only.
- Any challenges or concerns regarding an entry may be made to the competition director by a studio director/teacher only, before the awards ceremony for that routine.
- In the event a Judge is also the choreographer of a performance, their "score" will be the average of the other two Judges' scores. Judges cannot see the names of the choreographers when judging. Studios must inform Shine if a judge has choreographed any of their performances.
- Shine Dance Competitions makes every effort to align with reputable vendors (photographers, merchants, etc.) However, Shine Dance Competitions is not responsible for any unfulfilled orders resulting in a financial loss for the customer that may be caused as a direct result from the business practice of any of its vendors. You may certainly contact us at any time with questions or concerns.
- The Shine rules are enforced with the goal of creating a fair competitive environment for all dancers. If circumstances arise throughout an event which do not fall under the current rules, the Shine Directors/Management reserve the right to proceed as they see fit to best uphold the integrity of the event.
- Full "Fee" details are listed in your Studio's Online Accounts.
- Deposits are non-refundable
- Shine Dance Competitions reserves the right to cancel any competition if inadequate entries are received to run the event.
- Shine Dance Competitions will not issue refunds or be held responsible for sudden cancellation or time lost due to extreme weather, bomb threats, terrorism, pandemic, epidemic, quarantine, illness, outbreak, disease, or any other event beyond the control of Shine Dance Competitions. Shine Dance Competitions will not be held responsible for injuries, damage and lost or stolen property over the duration of the competition. Shine Dance Competitions will not be held responsible for any additional fees incurred (i.e. Parking fees, parking tickets, etc.) by dancers, teachers, studio owners or any participants while attending one or more of the events.
- Shine Dance Competitions will issue a partial refund for dancers who provide a medical note prior to the event. All fees are handled directly through Studios.
- No dancer can compete without payment. No Exceptions.
- Shine Dance Competitions has the right to refuse any application at any time.
- All Scholarships are made out to the Studio and sent by cheque or EMT after the event.
Waiver of Liability
- Shine Dance Competitions and/or its agents, representatives, employees, officers, directors, adjudicators, successors and/or assigns (the “Releasees”) shall not be held liable for any damages, illness, injuries or death that may be sustained by a dancer/contestant, teacher/instructor, studio director or any other individual, either directly or indirectly, in connection with that individual’s participation in any dance competition, workshop or other event held, hosted, organized or facilitated by Shine Dance Competitions (the “Events”).
- All dancers, their parent(s) or guardian(s)), teachers, studio directors and other individuals who attend any Event agree and acknowledge that they do so entirely voluntarily and of their own volition, and that they are fully aware that dancing is a physical activity that carries inherent risks of bodily injury, death, contraction of illness, and other damages.
- All dancers, their parent(s) or guardian(s)), teachers, studio directors and other individuals who attend any Event agree to waive any and all claims that they have or may have in the future against the Releasees and to release the Releasees from any and all liability for any loss, damage, illness, expense or injury, including death, that they may suffer, including all claims their family member(s) may advance under the Family Law Act or the common law, directly or indirectly in connection with any Event, due to any cause whatsoever, including negligence, breach of contract or breach of any statutory or other duty of care, including any duty of care owed under the Occupiers’ Liability Act, on the part of the Releasees.
- Competing dancers should be ready at least 30 minutes prior to their scheduled competition time. If the competition is running ahead of schedule, they will be expected to perform.
- Competing dancers must perform in the scheduled sequence unless special permission is granted by the Shine Team. Intentional manipulation of the performance schedule will result in disqualification or performances being "adjudicated only"
- Competing dancers and their teachers are expected to demonstrate good sportsmanship and general support of all participants. We are here to have a fun week together.
- All entries will check in with the backstage manager five (5) numbers (15min) prior to their performance.
- Only teachers are permitted backstage in an effort to keep the backstage area clear and calm for the dancers (unless assistance is required with props and permission is granted by the Shine Team).
- Shine will open the building/dressing rooms 1 hour prior to the competition starting time. Please do not arrive earlier than 1 hour prior to start time (especially on the first day) as the rooms will not be open.
- Given the finite space in venues, studios are expected to share dressing rooms.
- When space permits, Shine will have an 'All Gender/Family Changeroom' that will include privacy tents.
- Studios are expected to keep the dressing rooms clean. Please throw out your garbage and do not spread sparkles on the floor.
- Studios will be held responsible for any damages to change rooms. Any personal belongings, costumes or dance apparel left behind at the competition will not be the responsibility of Shine Dance Competitions.
- For your convenience, dressing rooms are often assigned.
- Substances which alter the condition of the stage and may affect the dancing surface for other competitors are prohibited (e.g. tossing sparkles, baby powder, water/liquid, body paint, etc.). If it cannot be easily swept off the stage, it should not be put on the stage.
- Dangerous props such as live animals and/or any routines which contain fire or pyrotechnic devices, swords and/or knives etc. are also prohibited.
- If the stage is littered after your performance (ex: feathers, etc.)., you must be ready for immediate removal of the items.
- Helium balloons are not to be released on-stage due to the cost of getting them down with a lift and the possibility of them popping during another performance if left on the ceiling. They can be used if they are on a weight and not released. Released balloons may result in: a deduction, the routine being 'adjudicated only', and/or the cost of retrieving the balloon being passed on to the Studio.
- For the privacy and safety of your children, and the protection of choreography, absolutely NO videotaping or photography is allowed during performances. Shine is not a ticketed event and we cannot monitor the possible attendance of people of "questionable" nature. We urge all studio owners, teachers, and especially parents to keep our performers photographically safe by reporting suspected photographic violations. We will have a professional photographer and videographer at all of our events, and all photographs and videos are included with registration. The use of video or photography may lead to an entry being "adjudicated only".
- No photographs/videos may be taken in the dressing rooms.
- By virtue of entering Shine Dance Competitions, all dancers, their parent(s) or guardian(s)), teachers, studio directors and other individuals who attend any event give their permission and consent to Shine Dance Competitions to use their images, videos, photographs or appear in videos, television, or any other electronic media for advertising, news coverage or any other commercial use of our events.